Friday, August 10, 2012

One step forward, two steps back

I had an appointment with my orthodontist bright and early this morning and it left me more than a little disappointed about the timeline I had set in my mind for my surgery. My orthodontist had never really talked to me about when he projected that I would be ready for surgery, so this morning at my appointment I asked him when he thought that and told me around Christmas time-February!! That was definitely not the answer I was expecting! After he told me that I definitely felt defeated. First I had to switch surgeons, then it took me three months to even get it for an appointment and now it probably won't happen for at least another 5-7 months!

The way that I am paying for my surgery is with insurance and with a new calendar year comes a new deductible, which means more money that I will have to pay out-of-pocket and I can't do that. Currently I have insurance through my work and insurance through my mom. The plan was to have two so that I don't really have to pay very much out-of-pocket from the start. As long as I am able to get my surgery by December 31, 2012 I think it will be ok, but I don't want to risk it being so close to the wire. The earlier the better, just in case there are problems.

Another worry with having my surgery in late December is that many people get their surgeries during that time because of being on a break from school, but also what if my surgery is going to be on vacation? There are so many uncertainties right now and I'm feeling very unsettled by them. There was a good thing that came from my appointment, I should be able to get new pontics made soon. Those are the plastic teeth that I have to maintain the spaces for my upper laterals and fill the gap. They put a power chain from each K-9 to the back molars so that they can get to their final place and then take the impressions to make my new pontics. I guess that can be my silver lining for the day. The also put a power chain on my bottom jaw to close all the gaps and he did say that my bottom jaw is almost there.

BUT!!!

I still have my appointment with my oral surgeon in San Francisco NEXT FRIDAY, I'm hoping that he will have good news! At my first appointment I didn't really ask many question because they were just doing a work-up, but now that they have had time to look over my x-rays, molds and come up with a treatment plan/diagnosis I definitely will be getting some more concrete answers about my surgery, at least that. I will also ask them about their availability in December. I'm crossing my fingers for good news! 

I got this from a Dove chocolate that I ate yesterday and the first thing that I thought was, "No..." But then I thought about it and I guess it's true, but for all of us jaw surgery/braces folks we know better. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment