Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Now I might need a bone graft too, wait what?

Yesterday I had a consultation with the dentist who I was hoping would do the tooth part of my dental implants and he told me to prepare myself for the possibility of not getting my implants placed during surgery. I was banking on that so that I would be able to get the tooth part placed around the time my braces would be taken off and I would get a normal retainer, not one with fake teeth to fill my gaps. The dentist was telling me that I might need to get a bone graft where I'm missing my tell because I might not have enough bone for the implants. Talk about messing up my plans.

I had to go to my orthodontist's office to have them take molds of my teeth without my pontics so he could have a look at the space or something like that. I just need to remember to breathe and not get so worked up. No matter what I will get implants, maybe not the way I thought it would happen and it might prolong my time with braces and having to wear a retainer with fake teeth, but I will get them. I just don't like not knowing what's going I happen.

After I finished getting my molds done I was talking to my orthodontist about the bone graft and he didn't seem surprised. He agreed and said I don't have enough bone there. It would have been nice if he would have said something earlier so I wasn't blind sided.

My orthodontist is kind of a dork. Last time I was in for an adjustment we were talking about my surgery and he tells me, "you're going to be hot, you're already hot, but know you're going to need an extinguisher." Only an older man can say that without sounding creepy.

Yesterday when I was getting my next appointment he asked me if my surgeon had talked to me about doing my chin. I'll add that to my list of questions for my post op. I really don't want them to do my chin because that will effect my recovery and numbness.

I'll update you guys when I know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment